Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Explaining Death to Children/Dog on Leash Comic "Forced Togetherness")/Tell Me About It-Carolyn Hax, Nick Galifianakis

Wednesday, March 5, 2014:


Carolyn Hax
Carolyn Hax
Columnist

Carolyn Hax: Readers weigh in on sane family holidays, talking about death, and more

While I’m away, readers give the advice.
Carolyn Hax
Carolyn Hax started her advice column in 1997 as a weekly feature for The Washington Post, accompanied by the work of “relationship cartoonist” Nick Galifianakis. She is the author of “Tell Me About It” (Miramax, 2001), and the host of a live online discussion on Fridays at noon.
(Nick Galifianakis/For The Washington Post)


Wish I’d Done It Differently
On explaining death to children:
When my mother was very young, she was extremely concerned about dying and repeatedly asked her mother (my grandmother) about it.
Eventually, Grandmother turned to her and said, “Look, do you remember what it was like before you were born?” My mother said, “No.”
“Well,” said my grandmother, “That’s what it will be like when you die.”
I was in my late 50s when Mother told me this. It continues to be comforting.

No comments:

Post a Comment