Thursday, May 29, 2014

"Grace" Poem by Linda Pastan




The Writer's Almanac with Garrison Keillor




Grace

When the young professor folded
his hands at dinner and spoke to God
about my safe arrival
through the snow, thanking Him also
for the food we were about to eat,
it was in the tone of voice I use
to speak to friends when I call
and get their answering machines,
chatting about this and that
in a casual voice,
picturing them listening
but too busy to pick up the phone,
or out taking care of important
business somewhere else.
The next day, flying home
through a windy
and overwhelming sky, I knew
I envied his rapport with God
and hoped his prayers
would keep my plane aloft.
"Grace" by Linda Pastan from The Last Uncle. © W.W. Norton, 2002. Reprinted with permission. 


It's the birthday of poet Linda Pastan (books by this author), born in New York City (1932). She's the author of more than a dozen poetry collections, including A Fraction of Darkness (1985),The Imperfect Paradise (1988), Carnival Evening (1998), and most recently, Traveling Light (2011).
She once said: "I often write poems in my head to distract myself during hard times. ... Years ago, after a car crash, while I lay waiting for the ambulance, I actually finished a poem I had been working on, determined not to die before I had it right."

No comments:

Post a Comment