Thursday, December 5, 2013

Bill Cosby: Marriage=Living Dead/A Review of Far From Finished

I watched Bill Cosby:  Far From Finished, twice.  As a long-time Cosby fan, I have followed Cosby since I was a child.  So I am an aging fan who has been married for some time, and I have several children.  And I've lived in Philadelphia for 30+ years now.  Far From Finished was good, maybe sublimely great, but it depends on your mood and inclinations.  The first time I watched it I was not smitten in the least.  The second time around I enjoyed it a lot.  It was easier for me to enjoy it with the live audience laughing along.  I'm not sure how funny it would be without audience interaction, laughter and appreciation; it might not be funny at all.  It might just be a grim, sad indictment of marriage.  Sure marriage can be tough, but it can be great also.  His progression of your "girlfriend" who becomes your wife, and NOT your friend, is perhaps eerily accurate at times, but completely wrong at other times and downright sad and scary.  His definition of a married husband and wife might be that they are zombies, living dead, who pass sometimes in the night.
He portrays husbands as blubbering idiots essentially.  But Cosby's blubbering has earned him a large and loving audience, and wealth, which I'm sure he and his wife and kids appreciate.
His suggestion that the groom's mother walk the bride down the aisle is maybe a good one:  "this way the groom can see the woman who brought him into this world and the woman who will take him out of this world."  Some people might suggest that the mother of the bride also walk down the aisle so the groom can see what his bride will look like in the future.!?

No comments:

Post a Comment