Monday, August 19, 2013

What Would You Do If You Found Abandoned Ashes/Cremains?

Social Q'S, By Philip Galanes, The New York Times, August 15, 2013: Where Mr. Smith Goes In contemplation of retirement, I bought a place in Palm Springs, Calif. It’s a fixer-upper, so I hired a handyman from the neighborhood. On entering my property, he said, “Oh, there’s Mr. Smith,” indicating a small box by the front door, which I assumed was one of those hide-a-key boxes. He told me it held the remains of the (deceased) former owner’s dead husband. I want to respect the former owner’s wishes to a point, as well as the dead. Their only daughter lives abroad, was estranged from her parents and has not replied to my letters. Any suggestions? Mike, Palm Springs On the spectrum of gifts left behind by former owners, a box full of ashes falls somewhat short of my own fantasy: a museum-quality Cindy Sherman in the upstairs bedroom. But at least it’s not black mold in the cellar. Check with your police department for local rules about disposing ashes. (Yes, there are laws about this.) Depending on your squeamishness, you might scatter them at the far, far edge of your property or bury the box under one of the many succulents that will populate your post-retirement life. I also read about a California company that builds ashes into fireworks, but that’s only if you’re looking for a dazzling, yet classy, big finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment